7/1/08

Batgirl Action Figure

Yvonne Craig
So I sit down to my usual "Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cereal" with "Whole Grain Guaranteed" and "three grams of soluble fiber" Cheerios breakfast, and out of the box comes a "Batman Stunt Figure." I can collect all four. I can "join in the Batman action." I could either study the Nutrition Highlights on the side of the box or take the "Batman Mental Agility" test on the back of the box. Apparently, there's a new Batman movie, The Dark Knight, that I have forgotten to ignore. I skip all that and get back to the regular book I'm reading this week. But I'm thinking that a Batgirl Action Figure would make a nice breakfast gift (and an excellent excuse for a Starlet Showcase post). And I look up "batgirl" on the Internet. And there are, of course, Batgirl comics and action figures and scale models and batgirls at conventions and dirty batgirl pictures and batgirl-catwoman contests and assorted nonsense. And I see that they've remade Get Smart. I knew that some idiot had remade Psycho, and I knew that some other idiot had remade The Getaway, and I had heard that some morons had made an unfunny movie out of Bewitched, but Get Smart? Get a clue! Let me pause for a moment and make one earth-shattering admission: I have never seen a Star Wars, a Lord of the Rings, or a Harry Potter movie. Never. In my whole life. How I got through half a century of breathing (smoke, mostly) without having sat through one of those, I'll never know. But I haven't. There are too many good older movies I have yet to see. I can't be wasting my time, watching remakes of Get Friggin' Smart. And I'll not be attending The Dark Knight anytime soon either. But I found some Batgirl photos of Yvonne Craig, and that made it all worthwhile.
Yvonne Craig
Yvonne Craig
Yvonne Craig
Yvonne Craig

No comments: