3/27/10

Barney's Whore

Noel Francis
BARNEY (to Linda): This is Jim Allen, a pal of mine from the chain gang. He's just escaped.

JIM (to Barney): Listen, never mind the advertising.


BARNEY (to Jim): It's all right with Linda. (To Linda) Take good care of him, babe. He's my personal guest. (To Jim) So long, Jim. Hope you make it. (Barney leaves the room.)

LINDA (to Jim): You've got plenty of what it takes to pull an escape from that place.

JIM: I'm not safe yet, not until I'm out of the state.

LINDA: If there's anything I can do to help you, just say the word.

JIM: Thanks...there's nothing you can do.


LINDA: How 'bout a drink?

JIM: No.

LINDA: Don't mind if I take one, do you?

JIM: No, go right ahead.

(Linda crosses the room and pours a drink. Jim looks her over from head to toe.)

LINDA (raising her glass): Here's to you. A guy with your nerves has got the breaks coming to him.


(Jim gazes at her with a look she seems to recognize. She crosses the room to him. She sits on the arm of his chair.)

LINDA: I know what you're thinking. (She pauses.) I understand. (Linda touches his shirt, whispering now.) You're among friends
.
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932) with Allen Jenkins (Barney), Noel Francis (Linda), and Paul Muni (Jim). Here is a very nice piece about Noel from Allure.
Noel Francis
Noel Francis
Furthermore, she's a Texas girl. Go figure.
More photos here.
(Boy, I love pre-Code movies.)

5 comments:

COCAMIA said...

I love this post and the dialogue! Happy Weekend...xx

Artman2112 said...

one of the best friggin movies ever made!

C. Parker said...

Friggin-A!

arshille said...

Hello - I was fortunate enough to discover your wonderful and evocative blog earlier this week and as I was lucky enough to have been born in the UK in 1956 (and yes I was drunk most of the seventies and the eighties as well) your posts and observations entertain and educate me as I slide reasonably content and unnoticed off the stage.
In my opinion 'I Was A Fugitive From A Chain Gang' is certainly one of the Best Films I have ever watched and the acting of Paul Muni and Noel Francis in this scene is amazing (and what about that Dress !).
With Best Wishes - arshille (Stephen)

C. Parker said...

Thanks, arshille. I don't think anyone has ever called Starlet Showcase "evocative" before. Hope you enjoy working your way through the archives.